top of page

ATV Operation in Washington State for Non-Residents

This page was created as a resource for non Washington State residents. If you have information to contribute to this page, or see information that needs correcting, please email us,

Washington State Residents; CLICK HERE 

Parking Pass Information; CLICK HERE 

Non Residents

If you're visiting Washington State to ride ATV's, you will not be disappointing. We have some amazing areas to ride. This is a consolidated list of what you'll need to ride legally on public lands. ​

ORV Tabs vs On Road Tabs

In Washington State, we have both off road tabs (ORV) and a on road certification. The on road certification requires special equipment, and an inspection. The riding opportunities for the on road certification is very limited currently, and strictly enforced. We recommend you stick to off road trail systems. 

Check ORV Permit Reciprocity

If your ATV is registered in another state and a similar exemption or privilege is granted under the laws of that state for Washington residences, then Washington State will recognize your ORV tabs. For example, Utah, Oregon, Idaho, and others. If you're state does not have an ATV registration process and ORV tabs with reciprocity, then you are not allowed to operate your ATV on public 

Links to Reference; 

Parking at ORV Trail Heads

Please reference the Parking Pass section below. ​If you are riding for just a couple of days, be sure to purchase just day parking passes to save a few dollars. 

Where to Ride

Trails section coming soon. 

Parking Passes

Purchasing a parking pass is an expense that is here to stay. If you are going to ride an ATV in Washington State on public lands, you will need one of two (or both) parking passes, a Discover Pass or a Northwest Forest Pass, depending on where you ride. Both passes are offered as either an annual pass, or a day pass. 

Discover Pass for Washington State Managed Lands

This includes all Washington Department of Natural Resource lands (DNR) state forests such as Capitol Forest, Tahuya, etc.  The Discover Pass is also good for Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife lands (state wildlife areas) such as the LT Murray, Wenas, etc. 

Links to Reference; 

Northwest Forest Pass for Federal Recreation Sites

This includes the National Forest areas such as Hawkins Mountain, Manastash Ridge, etc., and BLM Lands. Northwest Forest passes are valid in Oregon and Washington, and can be purchased as an annual pass, or a day pass. Northwest Forest Passes can be purchased online or a local retailers. 


Note that if you have an America the Beautiful Interagency Annual Pass, you do not need to purchase a Northwest Forest Pass.  The America the Beautiful Interagency Annual Passes are accepted to all Forest Service, National Park and other federal sites.

Links to Reference; 

  • Region 6 National Forest Recreation Passes and Permits; CLICK HERE 

  • Annual Northwest Forest Pass; CLICK HERE 

  • Day and EPass Northwest Forest Pass; CLICK HERE 

  • Locate a Retailer; CLICK HERE 

  • America the Beautiful Interagency Annual Pass; CLICK HERE 

bottom of page